(Telecompaper) The European Union Agency for Cybersecurity (Enisa) said the number of security breaches at trust service providers rose significantly by around 80 percent last year. A total of 27 EU countries and two EFTA countries took part in the annual summary reporting, with the number of security incidents that had a significant impact on trust services in the EU increasing to 32 from 18 in 2018.
(Telecompaper) Telecom Italia (TIM) has decided to exclude Huawei from a lucrative tender to build its 5G core network in both Italy and Brazil, reports Reuters, citing two unnamed sources. The company has invited its current supplier Ericsson as well as Nokia, Cisco, Mavenir and Microsoft-owned Affirmed Networks to bid for the tender, but has so far chosen not to include Huawei on the list of suppliers amid security concerns.
(Telecompaper) TX Group, formerly known as Tamedia, said that it expects a decline in revenues of around 20 percent in H1 2020 compared with the previous year. This is a larger drop than a previous outlook that forecast a decline in revenues of between 10 and 15 percent, and also predicted an EBIT loss for the first half of this year. The company said that advertising revenues in the current year have fallen because of the coronavirus crisis. The daily and Sunday titles of Tamedia, the commuter newspapers of 20 Minuten and the advertising marketer Goldbach, are particularly impacted by the decline in advertising revenues.
(Telecompaper) A major telecommunications infrastructure provider has approached the Ekiti State government for approval to lay 160 kilometre of fibre across the state, BusinessDay reported. Akin Oyebode, special adviser for Investment, Trade and Innovation at Ekiti Government, said this follows the state's decision to reduce the charge for the right of way for fibre cables to NGN 145 per meter from NGN 4,500. The project means Ekiti will get over NGN 76 million in revenue if it approves the deal.
(Telecompaper) The US government want to stop its bodies from buying goods or services from companies that use products from five Chinese companies, namely Huawei, video surveillance specialists Hikvision and Dahua, Hytera and ZTE, Reuters reported, citing a US official. The government hopes to pass the regulations this week, meaning companies that sell goods and services to the US government would need to certify that they do not use products from these companies.
(Telecompaper) Indonesia has introduced a digital CAT services tax on Amazon Web Services, Google Asia Pacific, Google Ireland, Google, Netflix International, Spotify, The Register reports. These companies will be required to collect a 10 percent tax on top of their charges and remit the funds to Indonesia's Direktorat Jenderal Pajak (aka the Directorate General of Taxes).
(Telecompaper) WarnerMedia has appointed former Hulu executive Johannes Larcher as head of HBO Max International and will be launching the new subscription streaming service in Latin America next year ahead of its expansion into other territories, reports Variety. Larcher will join the company in August and report to WarnerMedia International Networks president Gerhard Zeiler. He will also work closely with Whit Richardson, president of WarnerMedia Entertainment Networks for Latin America, and Priya Dogra, newly appointed president of WarnerMedia Entertainment Networks for EMEA and APAC, said the report.
(Telecompaper) The average US SVoD household had access to almost 100,000 hours of content in the first quarter, delivered via 3.8 different services, according to a new study by Ampere Analysis. Researchers concluded it would take 11 years to watch it all back-to-back, and nearly 70 years if the average viewer watched an average of four hours per day. The main factors driving this increase in content availability are consumer uptake of Amazon Prime's booming portfolio and the addition of new services like Disney+ to the household mix.
(Telecompaper) The International Finance Corporation (IFC) and Jordan's Ministry of Digital Economy and Entrepreneurship (MoDEE) have signed an agreement to attract private sector participation to expand and run high-speed internet networks to boost connectivity, improve digital services and create jobs. IFC will work with the ministry to launch a competitive and transparent tender for a public-private partnership (PPP) to operate, commercialise, finance and extend the national broadband network (NBN), a fibre-optic open access data network currently under development.
(Telecompaper) French telecom operators saw first quarter service revenues across the fixed, mobile and added-value segments increase 1.0 percent year-on-year to EUR 7.66 billion (+1.1% in Q4), according to regulator Arcep. Growth in the sector continued to be driven by the mobile segment, where service revenues increased by 3.1 percent to reach EUR 3.33 billion (+3.7% in Q4).
(Telecompaper) Qualcomm Technologies unveiled the Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 Plus 5G Mobile Platform, a follow-on to the flagship Snapdragon 865 that powered more than 140 devices. The new Snapdragon 865 Plus is designed to deliver increased performance across the board for superior gameplay and fast Qualcomm Snapdragon Elite Gaming experiences, truly global 5G, and ultra-intuitive AI.
(Telecompaper) Ericsson said its president and CEO Borje Ekholm recently addressed the 2020 GTI Summit about 5G network expansion and private networks. He said a leading application for 5G will become evident once the infrastructure is in place. He expects industrial digitisation to generate some USD 700 billion in revenue for service providers by 2030.
(Telecompaper) Facebook has pushed the launch of its Oversight Board to the late fall. The company said its first members were announced in May and that the board is now focused on setting up a new institution.
(Telecompaper) As part of this latest consultation, closing on 14 September, Arcep will receive feedback on its draft decisions from the country's competition authority. In the coming weeks, it will also publish its proposals on the regulated charges for unbundled access lines, with the aim to adopt the updated framework by the end of the year.
(Telecompaper) Two plans are available - Viasat 10Mega and Viasat 20Mega – with download speeds of 10 Mbps and 20 Mbps, respectively, along with in-home Wi-Fi. Other features include unlimited chat and browsing and also a free zone from 02:00 hrs to 07:00 hrs local time.
(Telecompaper) Kenyan operator Safaricom has selected Aviat Networks' WTM 4800 multi-band radio platform for 5G backhaul. Aviat multi-band provides the lowest total cost of ownership (TCO) for 5G backhaul, especially in countries like Kenya, where the cost of microwave spectrum is high. Multi-band combines traditional microwave (6-42 GHz) and E-band (70-80 GHz) over the same link and same antenna.
(Telecompaper) Motorola has announced the launch of the first 5G-enabled smartphone in its Moto G mid-range lineup. The Moto G 5G Plus follows the launch of the company's flagship Motorola Edge+ earlier this year and, like that device, features a 6.7-inch display with a 90Hz screen refresh rate. It also comes with the Qualcomm Snapdragon 765 processor found in the regular Edge model, with an integrated X52 5G modem supporting sub-6GHz 5G, and will be available in two versions. The first costs EUR 349 for 4GB RAM and 64GB of storage, and the second EUR 399 for 6GB RAM and 128GB of storage.
(Telecompaper) Iliad's subsidiary Free has introduced its latest Freebox model (version 8), available with a new triple-play bundle priced EUR 39.99/month after the 12-month promotional offer (EUR 29.99/month). Named Freebox Pop, the 4K set-top-box (STB) runs on AndroidTV, supporting Google Assistant and Chromecast, and is compatible with Dolby Atmos. Round-shaped like the STB, the associated router features a MU-MIMO Wi-Fi chipset (Wi-Fi 5 standard), and comes with a separate booster for extended indoor coverage, which relies on multi-AP mesh Wi-Fi networking.
(Telecompaper) Orange has appointed new CEOs for Belgium and Poland from 1 September, saying the move comes as the company renews its group executive committee.
(Telecompaper) The Angolan government says construction of a factory for mobile phones, tablets and laptops is close to completion and the plant should open in the near future. It is being built in the Special Economic Zone Luanda-Bengo in Viana in a project backed by Contec Global Group through its Afrione subsidiary and financed by a USD 2 billion credit line from the UAE.